August used to be a whimsical month for me. After I finished my Master's degree at CMU I would look enviously at the students walking around campus with their backpacks full of books. I knew that around this time of year, thousands of students were cramming into the bookstores, spending small fortunes on stacks of interesting books - my most favorite thing in the whole world! And what's more, the students would get to tote those books around from classroom to classroom, take notes, write papers, and learn. What a wonderful life!
God has filled the learning vacuum in my life with homeschool. Now, during the month of August, I get to wait impatiently for little brown boxes of books to arrive on my front porch (after spending a small fortune online). I get to lovingly tote the books into the dining room, map out lesson plans, and then teach and learn alongside Chase, who's beginning 2nd grade this year. One may think that there isn't anything new to learn in grade school, but that's not true! Last year, I learned a whole new way to approach Mathematics, I learned basic Latin and Greek, and I got a nice refresher course in Ancient History.
I love learning. I used to think that I just loved books, but now I see that it's the information in the books that I crave. It's (almost) like chocolate to me. The subjects for 2nd grade include Bible (Genesis - Joshua), Math, Medieval History, Earth Science and Astronomy, Spelling, Grammar, Cursive, Literature, Greek, Latin, French, Art and Music. We officially start in five days. I can't wait.
Maybe that's why I like you so much, Kylee--because you crave information and learning the way I do! And maybe that's why I'm so excited about homeschooling, too. It's also nice to know I'm not the only one reading seven books at a time. I've tried the one book thing, and it just doesn't work for me!
ReplyDelete