11 May 2009

Our Spring: Abundance

We have filled our spring with porch-sitting, walks, birdwatching, plant study, and insect observing. We have seen a great number of remarkable things and I often wonder why people don't spend more time discussing nature. In one half-hour on the porch we are witness to more grand and mysterious events than we could ever recall. I'm beginning to believe that time in nature could possibly be a remedy for every ill known to man. I know it's been good for me. Among the plants and bugs and dirt and water I have better perspective. Being outside gives me a healthy dose of humility as I consider the smallness of my life and the limits of my knowledge.

On Friday, our apple tree blossomed.


Some myrtle in our side garden.


One of my favorite of our plants: Bloodroot.


Ian discovers plush grass and dandelions.

Chase gains some perspective by a huge tree at the park.


We are shown that no suffering, no self-examination, however honest, however stern, no searching-out of the heart by its own bitterness, is enough to convince man of his nothingness before God; but that the sight of God's creation will do it. -John Ruskin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share :: Connect :: Inspire :: Ask :: Encourage