12 January 2010

Today's Words



Words escape me. The thoughts they come and inspire and motivate, but they aren't trapped by me on the sticky page. They float away.

Sometimes it's the voice of fear. The ideas are unoriginal, boring, not funny, too raw, unpoetic.

But I want to write something. I long to make myself knowable with these dangerous strings of letters. I want to see the picture that's painted with the syllables and the syntax. What do I look like? If I painted myself with words what would I see?

Today I would be:

Confused
Fearful
Hesitant
Unsure
Foolish
Disappointed
Weak
Hiding

But my broad dark strokes would include some splashes of light, for even in this mire I find that I am hopeful. And grateful. And faithful. Hopeful because God who began this work in me will continue until the end (Phil 1:6). Grateful for the unforced grace that allows me to keep company with the King (Mat 11:28). And Faithful to wait on the Healer who will help my unbelief (Mark 9:24).

Now God has us where he wants us, with all the time in this world and the next to shower grace and kindness upon us in Christ Jesus. Saving is all his idea, and all his work. All we do is trust him enough to let him do it. It's God's gift from start to finish! We don't play the major role. If we did, we'd probably go around bragging that we'd done the whole thing! No, we neither make nor save ourselves. God does both the making and saving. He creates each of us by Christ Jesus to join him in the work he does, the good work he has gotten ready for us to do, work we had better be doing. (Ephesians 2:7-10 Msg)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share :: Connect :: Inspire :: Ask :: Encourage