15 June 2009

Discoveries

Nature study is a big (unofficial) deal to us. We don't have much structure to our study, but whenever we're out for a walk or sitting on our front porch we are on the lookout for any kind of creature or plant that we can learn more about. A couple of recent trips to Nana and Papa's up north have scored us some big finds. My favorite is this robin's nest we found under the deck. I had to hold my camera above the nest to snap this photo; there's not enough head room to actually look. I'd like to go back again soon and see if I can get a shot of the hatchlings.



Fishing is something we like to do when visiting up north. Honestly, I enjoy just tossing my worm off the end of the dock and watching the little bluegills eye it suspiciously. Often they'll take a taste, but the fish are so little, it's difficult to get them on the hook. The fishing this year has been lousy so far, but Jim caught this bass in the photo (as evidenced by the tear in his mouth).



While driving down Nana and Papa's dirt road, we nearly ran over this little painted turtle. Jim carefully picked him up and he rode shotgun the rest of the way to the house. We put him in a bucket for about three minutes so that Chase and Ian could have a close look at him. He was hissing with all his might. We set him down near the lake and he took off as fast as his little turtle legs could go.



By nature, I am an observer. I'm happy to sit and watch, to study and contemplate the things that I see or read. My boys don't have huge attention spans and they're not interested in long explanations and descriptions, but when we're outside I often hear, "Mama, come look at this!" or "I gotta show you something!" I know that they are interested in God's creation and that creation itself is magnifying the Lord. Nature study is a curriculum that costs nothing and has an infinite number of pages. We just need to be willing to observe and learn (and not squirm too much when the subject is an insect). Hopefully my boys will learn to always be willing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share :: Connect :: Inspire :: Ask :: Encourage