15 July 2009

Flower Dissection



Being unhappy with our first grade study of plants, we set out this summer to (re)conquer grammar-stage botany. Our new text, Exploring Creation with Botany by Jeannie K. Fulbright has been challenging. I was aware that my knowledge of plant life was not extensive, but I had no idea there was so much I didn't know. There are endless Greek and Latin root words, unfamiliar botanical references, and anatomical jargon. More than once Chase and I have shared a sigh of woe and scratched our heads. But we're pressing forward and enjoying every minute.

In addition to our regular seed collecting, this week Chase tackled two projects with a big smile. The first was a collection of drawings of carnivorous plants. Some of these bizarre plants he was already familiar with, but the sundew caught his attention. He thought it was the scariest of the bunch. His second project was flower dissection. We carefully tore apart a rose and a day lily and identified the flowers' anatomy. Below you'll see our notebook entries. Chase loved peeling away the rose petals. I was struck by the delicate beauty of the lily. Its parts were simply gorgeous.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share :: Connect :: Inspire :: Ask :: Encourage