30 July 2009

Third Grade, or a Recommitment

For the last week, our house has been a disaster zone. In an attempt to move a bookshelf from the dining room, we were forced to move item after item of furniture from room to room. At the end of our project (which should be soon), a Great Deal of Stuff will be squished out our back door and into the garage where it will be sent away to friends, thrift stores, or the recycling center. Some things, like the Moon Sand, will be sadly put in the garbage. What else can one do with Moon Sand? That stuff is so lame! I digress.

In the midst of the spatial uproar, I had the chance to rearrange our homeschool resources, organize and store away the records of past years, and fill a shelf with the texts we've selected for this next year. I spent some time perusing the tables of contents, increasing my anticipation for September. Chase has learned from Calvin (Bill Waterson's creation, not the Reformer) that school is something to be endured and avoided, but I have fallen more and more in love with the books and knowledge and potential of learning. My prayer is that Chase will catch my attitude this year and embrace the privilege of education. I pray that he would become a willing learner, and strive to be all that God created him to be in Christ Jesus, to His glory, amen.

I love this time of year, with the fall looming on the horizon. The season always brings me to the first things. What is necessary? What is essential? Where are we going? Who's in charge around here? What is the destination? How do we make love the central aim of our homeschool? Do Latin and Greek declensions, mathematical strategies, or historical narratives help us love God and our neighbor? I am suddenly humbled by the responsibility of stewarding these lives and the blessing of easy access to knowledge. Lord, teach us Your ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share :: Connect :: Inspire :: Ask :: Encourage