I have named four children, some cats, a dog, a rabbit, and few rocks. Only the names of the children were carefully chosen to reflect my deep hopes. I'd like to name the new year. It lies all fresh and shadowed in front of me. No footprints or worn paths. Just shining potential stretched out white.

I hesitate to name the year because this may set me up for failure. After all, if there's no expectation, then technically I can't fall short, right? Here I behave as if life is a series of mathematical equations. I start with a positive intention, add time and effort; subtract laziness and fear; multiply by the number of days I wasn't chasing the wind or running around in a panic, and arrive at my life's grade, which I feel is always running around the 60% mark. Arithmetic: Give. Take. Follow this 'rule'. Tally this mistake and that shortcoming. Nice and straightforward.
Except I'm following a God of grace and, apparently, grace does not follow any rules of mathematics. In the Kingdom, the least is the greatest and the weak are strong and to gain anything you've first got to go and give everything away. And to gain the treasure hidden in the ground, I need to buy the entire field.
“The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field." Mat. 13:44
So, I'll buy the field. I'll name the year. I'll spell out all that I secretly desire to be true for the next twelve months, hoping to get a firmer grip on the Kingdom. I'll start digging.

This will be The Year of Turning. The year of μετανοέω (me-tä-no-e'-ō).
I want to turn over the soil of my life, break up the clumps, let the air in. I want to sow new seeds. I want to turn from self-reliance, fear, laziness, selfishness, and distraction. I want to turn to the Spirit, to prayer, to love, perseverance, joy, servanthood.
My bucketful of intention won't get me far. I need a plan; one that won't allow me to stray into arithmetic. What steps come first?
Lord make me restless and homesick for You this year. Teach me to turn to You in new ways.
Hi, I found you at Ann’s.
ReplyDeleteI heart your year of “”. I love Greek.
I have prayed for your year of “μετανοέω”. That Our Lord be there help you turn over the soil, break up the clumps, let the air in, sow new seeds, turn from self-reliance, fear, laziness, selfishness, and distraction. I have prayed for his Spirit to call to you, call you to prayer, love, perseverance, joy, and servanthood.
It is such a noble quest – and you cannot fail, God cares about the heart, not the letter grade.
My word was “connecting” – praying for you is a humble start :)
May God richly bless you, and keep you and make His face to shine upon you and give you peace.
ooops, forgot that I cut and pasted the greek from one sentence to another - that's why it's missing - but it's there in spirit :)
ReplyDelete