12 January 2010

The Voices



It must be spreading. The voices in my head have been sneaking around the house. Hand on forehead today, Young Boy says, "I'm not good enough!" Flying out of his mouth it clearly resembles a lie and I'm quick to pull it out of the air and stomp on it.

But in my head, these impish lies run free. They sometimes escape the realm of thought and come tromping out of my mouth: "I'll never get this right," "I'm sure they don't like me," "I look like an idiot," "I sound like a dolt," "I will never be enough." The little lie-squeaks often turn to full choruses and my weak frame is crushed and I hide.

Father God, help me to hide in You. Help me to believe- to really believe- that I am loved by You and that Your love is more than enough to deal with my weaknesses and my failures. Squash these lie-makers that I have allowed in my head. Give me jump-off-the-cliff faith in Your approval of me in Christ, and teach me to stop looking for my value in other places and in other faces. No more striving. No more doubting.

Does the God who lavishly provides you with his own presence, his Holy Spirit, working things in your lives you could never do for yourselves, does he do these things because of your strenuous moral striving or because you trust him to do them in you? Don't these things happen among you just as they happened with Abraham? He believed God, and that act of belief was turned into a life that was right with God. (Galations 3:5-6 Msg)

1 comment:

Share :: Connect :: Inspire :: Ask :: Encourage