08 November 2010

Happy Birthday Graeme




His birthday quietly slipped by this last week and my heart ached. I remember him on a day, five years ago, near the patio steps in the sunshine, smiling and growing. How my whole heart was bent toward him in that moment, my entire soul taken up with affection.

I remember his shy grin of happiness while we sang to him on his last birthday here, four candles shining on the airplane cake. We celebrated his life that day; every day before and every day after. The best gifts came in the most surprising packages and we were always surrounded by such a mix of joy and sorrow, suffering and celebration.

I remember him at the hospital, quiet and uncomplaining, apologetic even. He was too weak to do more than nod. I told of the deep love that cut me; I told him how thankful I was to have been bound to him those years, his mama from the beginning to the end. I told him how much I wished he could have always stood in the sunshine smiling like he had, smiling over birthday cakes year after year. I told him that I was sorry his story hadn't gone that way, but that Jesus was going to make it all right.

"The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away;
Blessed be the name of the Lord." (Job 1:21)

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to Graeme indeed! From across the ocean I join in your sorrow and joy. Sorrow in never really getting to know him, but joy in getting to know his mama that I know he loved dearly. As I read this I was reminded of my first real encounter with Graeme...I was helping watch the kids for a large group bible study down in the basement at the Striebels, I don't remember how old he was at the time...but just a baby. I remember him sleeping quietly in a swing until the other crazy kids running around woke him up...

    Much love to you, friend.

    -tes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I regret that I was unable to know Graeme's smile. And I ache for your heart ache.

    Praying again for your comfort.

    h

    ReplyDelete

Share :: Connect :: Inspire :: Ask :: Encourage